is a free library for encoding /MPEG-4 AVC video streams.To decode use a recent build of or a player that supports internally – like MPlayer.
There are few interesting frontends for Windows: MPlayerUI, MPlayer Frontend) and VLC (VideoLAN Client).
Encoder features :
– Intra: all macroblock types (16×16, 8×8, and 4×4 with all predictions)
– Inter P: all partitions (from 16×16 down to 4×4)
– Inter B: partitions from 16×16 down to 8×8 (including skip/direct)
– Ratecontrol: constant quantizer, single or multipass ABR, optional
– Scene cut detection
– Adaptive B-frame placement
– B-frames as references / arbitrary frame order
– 8×8 and 4×4 adaptive spatial transform
– Lossless mode
– Custom quantization matrices
– Parallel encoding of multiple slices
Advanced settings :
– Enabling Cabac: approximately 10% bitrate reduction
– Enabling De-blocking Filter: smooths out visible blocks
– doesn’t support the error-resilience features of baseline
– (r675) fix some integer overflows. now vbv size can exceed 2 Gbit.
– (r674) allow –vbv-init to take absolute values (in kbit)
– (r673) remove a bashism
– (r672) reorder headers so that largefile support
– (r671) regression in r669: broke saving of configure args
– (r670) regression in r669: –enable-shared should imply –enable-pic
– (r669) Add a –host flag to allow overriding config.guess
– Normalize any host triplet into a quadruplet via config.sub.
– Move option parsing before any use of architecture information.
– (r668) Update config.guess.
x264 Video Codec
Updated: 20 Aug 2015