The most common question about Jpeg 2000 has been the advantages of the format. you can read about the Jpeg 2000 vs Jpeg on this website as well as a free Jpeg 2000 viewer which is widely used by the science community.
Features of Jpeg 2000
- Jpeg 2000 has a very low bit-rate performance;
- It offers Lossless and Lossy compression;
- Scalability – pixel accuracy and resolution;
- It also offers fix rate compression as well as fixed size;
- Limited memory use;
- Random codestream access and processing;
- Robust in error prone environment.
These are the features of the Jpeg 2000 and gives you a good idea why many in the science community use this format. It offers great pictures without the errors and huge memory use.