AC-3 ACM Decompressor

The Dolby Digital AC-3 decoder and decompressor for the Windows ACM and acm codec. You first need to install this codec and you can then only convert or decompress the AC3 audio file directly to WAV or to MP3 using VirtualDub. This codec also works with other players such as AviSynth, TMPGEnc, allowing you to use AC3 encoded AVI files.

AC-3 ACM Decompressor

This is version 2.1 of an AC-3 ACM Codec for Windows. Basically I have now wrapped an Audio Compression Manager interface around the free liba52 library by Aaron Holtzman and Michel Lespinasse, and the ac3enc code by Fabrice Bellard from ffmpeg.  This makes it possible to preview, decode, and encode AC-3 audio in VirtualDub (or almost any ACM client).

AC3ACM is released under the GNU General Public License, and you should have received a copy of this license as “GPL.txt” in the parent folder of the distribution.  I recommend you read it before using the software. Like the acm codec.

I make no guarantee that AC3ACM will work for you, and I won’t be held responsible if your computer explodes, and so on. Note that this zip contains two builds of the codec.  The codec in the “x86” folder is for use with 32-bit applications, and the codec in the “x64” folder is for use with 64-bit applications.

Installing the Codec

If you’ve never installed the codec before. Simply double-click the .bat file in the same folder with the codec you wish to install (x86 or x64).  You must right-click the .bat file and select “Run as administrator” if you are using Windows Vista or higher.  If you get a scary warning that the codec has not passed “Windows Logo testing” (which is quite true by the way), choose to “Continue Anyway.”

To uninstall the codec. Start the Control Panel “Add/Remove Programs” applet, select “AC-3 ACM Codec 2.1”, and press the “Add/Remove” button. If you have installed a previous version of the codec. I recommend that you first uninstall the old version before installing this version.

AC3ACM was compiled with Visual Studio 2005 Professional. Then tested on Windows 98 SE and 32-bit Windows XP Pro SP3.  I have not tested it myself on 64-bit Windows platforms.  See also the Ogg Vorbis ACM codec as well as the DivX 3.11 codec as well.

download-button

AC-3 ACM Decompressor